Who else loves baking a pie in the winter? Even though it’s not really winter in the UAE, we try to make the most out of the cooler weather, and find any excuse to bake our sweet potato pie. Even though it’s a time consuming dessert, you will enjoy preparing it, and especially indulging in it!
This pie recipe is inspired by the talented Martha Stewart.
1 Puff pastry (pre-prepared or fresh dough)
2 Large sweet potatoes
½ Stick of butter (cut into pieces, room temperature)
½ Teaspoon of ground allspice
1 Teaspoon of cinnamon powder
1 ¼ Cups of granulated sugar
½ Teaspoon of nutmeg powder
1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 Lemon, squeezed
- On a floured work surface, roll the puff pastry into a flat, round shape. With a dry pastry brush, sweep off the excess flour.
- Fit the dough into a standard pie plate, pressing it around the edges. Cover it with a plastic wrap, and chill the pie shell until firm, takes about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Fill a medium saucepan with 2 inches of water; place over high heat and bring to a boil. Fit the saucepan with a steamer basket; add the sweet potatoes and cover. Steam until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, takes about 1 hour. You may need to add more water as the sweet potatoes steam. Once the potatoes are ready, let them cool slightly before removing their skin.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat them on medium speed until the sweet potatoes are mashed well.
- With the mixer on slow speed, add butter and continue beating the mixture. Slowly add the sugar, and then the eggs, one at a time, continuously beating the mixture after each egg. Add the allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and lemon juice. Continue beating until well blended and smooth.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust. You can use any remaining dough to decorate the surface of your pie or you may choose to leave it uncovered.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake for around 45 to 50 minutes.
Et voila! We really hope you enjoy this recipe!
Sisi & Rara